all about the hair: FAQ’s answered

lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair _MG_0133 lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair lauren kay sims hair

Black romper | Fringe sandals | Fringe bag | Earrings | Cuff bracelet | Small bar pendant necklace | Y-necklace | Sunglasses | Opal ring

Happy Friday ya’ll! Recently I’ve been getting so many questions about my hair – either about styling tips, favorite products, where I get mine done, etc…so I decided to do a post answering all of your hair questions! Feel free to comment if there was anything here I didn’t include!

“Where do you get your hair done? What kind of extensions do you have?”

I go to FORM Salon in Preston Center in Dallas. Charleigh (@colorbycharleigh) does my color, and she’s amazing! I have balayage highlights and always just ask for a natural look, wish ashy tones (as opposed to warm). Ashley (@ashleywhair) does my cut, and recently did these extensions! I am loving them! They are the beaded extensions and should last anywhere from 8 months to a year. If you’re interested in getting extensions or want more info about that, call FORM salon and set up a free consultation with Ashley. She is the expert, and she’s the best!

“Extensions: how long have you been wearing them? Do they damage your hair? Worth the investment?”

I first got hair extensions last September, so it’s been about 7 months. I decided to get them because I had been growing my hair out for years and it was just stuck at the same length, not growing. I really really wanted long hair so I chatted with my husband about it, and once I got his approval I went for it! Last September I got a type of extensions called natural beaded rows, They are basically like sewn in wefts. I enjoyed having them, they are very cost effective for extensions, and low maintenance, but I never felt like they looked super natural. So, I was never 100% happy with them, which is why I recently got these new ones put in by Ashley!

There are definitely types of extensions that will damage your hair. The kind I have should cause little to no damage, but you have to take care of them! You can’t really put your hair in a high ponytail, and have to be really gentle when brushing. If you take good care of them, they shouldn’t damage your hair! That’s why I chose this type of extensions.

In my opinion, extensions are worth the investment. If you’re someone who’s hair grows like a weed, then it’s probably not worth it for you. But, I had wanted long hair for years and years and my hair just wasn’t getting there. It’s also made taking pictures way more fun, because I love my long hair!

“Favorite hair products?”

For shampoo/conditioner I have two favorites that I rotate between: Oribe gold lust shampoo + conditioner and Kevin Murphy purple shampoo + conditioner (to keep my blonde from getting brassy).

Before blowdrying: I always use this Oribe royal blowout spray, because it protects your hair from heat and makes the drying process faster. I also love this nourishing hair oil to repair hair from damage and deeply condition it.

Some of you asked if I use a hair masque, and the answer is: YES! I use a hair masque at least once a week, every week. My two favorites are Oribe gold lust transformative masque and Davines hair building pak. In my opinion, hair masques are 100% necessary. With as much drying, curling, coloring, and more that I do to my hair…it definitely needs a masque to prevent damage or breakage, and put that moisture and protein back in there.

For styling, I am obsessed with drybar products right now. I use the triple sec texturing spray after I’m done curling to get an easy toussled look, and I also love their money maker hairspray if I think my curls might need extra hold that day.

Some of you mentioned that you also have extensions or long hair, but never want to do cardio because you want to keep your hair looking good. I have that struggle too! But this dry shampoo will totally cure that problem. After I workout, I always shower to clean my body, but I only wash my hair like 3 times a week. Days when I don’t wash my hair, this dry shampoo has been a lifesaver! Your hair looks and feels like you just washed it!

“How do you curl your hair?”

I use a T3 curling iron and am obsessed with it. I rotate between using the 1.25″ barrel or the 1.5″ “loose waves” barrel, depending on what look I’m going for. Also! If you order these products (or any purchase of $100 or more) from t3micro.com and use the promo code “LAURENSIMSGIFT”, you’ll receive a brush set (the antigravity barrel brush and a paddle brush) + a microfiber towel ($70 value) for free.

“Lash extensions?”

This isn’t necessarily a hair question but I’ve gotten questions about this as well! I get lash extensions from Amanda at Naomi Elizabeth salon in Plano. I have loved having them because on a regular basis, I pretty much never wear eye make-up and it’s saved me so much time! When I do wear eye make-up, to remove it, I just use these makeup removing wipes and love them!

Okay, I think that covers the most frequently asked questions! Hope this was helpful for ya’ll and that you all have a wonderful weekend!

24 Comments on all about the hair: FAQ’s answered

1. Gaynor
    April 8, 2016 at 3:07 pm (1 year ago)

Hia Lauren.
    Such an interesting post today. Love, love your hair. Looks so good and natural. Looking so lovely in your romper suit too. Do you mind me asking how tall you are, and how much do you weigh. Thanks. Gaynor. X.

April 12, 2016 at 4:32 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Gaynor! I’m 5’7 and got the romper in an XS!

2. Ariana Michaloutsos
    April 8, 2016 at 7:15 pm (1 year ago)

Love this romper and I love that so much of the stuff you wear is from Nordstrom! What size did you get?

3. Torey Beerman
    April 11, 2016 at 12:31 am (1 year ago)

I LOVE this romper! And you answered so many questions I had about your perfect locks of hair! Always so gorgeous Lauren 🙂

TOREY’S TREASURES

April 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much! Glad it was helpful for you! 🙂

4. Stephanie
    April 19, 2016 at 3:35 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Lauren! Do you apply the hair masque on dry hair before you get in the shower? I’m just wondering the best way to use it! Also, do you use the hair oil on damp hair after you shower? Thanks so much!

April 19, 2016 at 6:01 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Stephanie! I use the hair masque in the shower, after I shampoo my hair. I put it on and leave it for about 10 minutes (so, while I shave my legs yadda yadda), and then I rinse it out! You can also put it on after you shampoo and leave it for up to 30 minutes – and get out of the shower, then come back to rinse it out. And yes, i use the hair oil on damp hair after I shower! Sorry – I should have clarified that in the post!

5. Rachel
    May 22, 2016 at 12:29 am (1 year ago)

Hi Lauren! A bit of a delayed comment, but what technique do you use to get your perfect waves? Do you wrap the hair around the curling iron? Also, after you style your hair, do you brush out your curls, run your fingers through them or just leave it? Sorry to get specific I just love your hair! 🙂

May 22, 2016 at 8:34 pm (1 year ago)

Hi! No I don’t wrap my hair around the curling iron, I just use the clamp! (Hoping to film a tutorial soon!) After I curl it, yes I brush the curls out AND run my fingers through it! Hope this helps!

6. Abby Darlington
    July 7, 2016 at 11:16 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Lauren!

Awesome post, I am always so curious about extensions! I recently got tape in extensions and although I’m not un-happy with them, they aren’t the most comfortable thing to deal with. I am interested in switching to beaded extensions next, but have seen so many horror stories of people losing so much hair from them. What has been your experience so far? Have you noticed your real hair becoming more brittle? P.S I am also a fellow Dallas girl 🙂 Hoping to check out your salon if I get the extensions… I will definitely give them your name as a referral!

Thank you!

Abby

July 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Abby! So far I’ve had great experience with the beaded extensions. I haven’t noticed a difference in my real hair at all, but I will definitely keep you posted whenever I get the extensions taken out, as to what the status of my real hair is! But so far I have LOVED having these extensions and hope to keep them for a while!

7. Martha
    July 22, 2016 at 2:38 pm (10 months ago)

Love, love, love this post! I love your hair so much that I even made an appointment at FORM Salon! 🙂 Can you give a range of what to expect to pay for extensions? I know it can vary a lot, but any info could be helpful.

Thanks, Lauren!

August 2, 2016 at 6:45 pm (10 months ago)

Sorry I’m just now seeing this! FORM is the best! So glad you made an appointment. I honestly can’t really give you a price range for extensions because it totally depends on what kind you get and what look you’re going for. you can set up a consultation with Ashley though for free and she can definitely give you an accurate price range!

8. Marie
    September 9, 2016 at 2:27 pm (9 months ago)

can you please tell me where you purchased your cuff bracelet? The link takes you to Kendra Scott but the bracelet is not listed. Thanks!

September 9, 2016 at 7:07 pm (9 months ago)

hi! my cuff bracelet is Kendra Scott. I think it might be sold out though bc I couldn’t find it on their site!

9. Amanda
    September 15, 2016 at 8:12 pm (9 months ago)

I’ve wanted lash extensions for what feels like an eternity, but everyone I saw wearing them lived in other states, and I never trusted going to a place that I didn’t know much about. I stumbled across this post, and I was SO happy to see that you gave information on your lash extensions. I actually have an appointment scheduled with Amanda, but I was hoping to get your feedback on whether or not they damage your natural eye lashes… Thanks!!

September 18, 2016 at 3:26 am (8 months ago)

oh my gosh yay! you will love amanda and LOVE your lashes! I’ve had my lash extensions for over a year now and I don’t think they’ve damaged my natural eye lashes at all! amanda is a pro and uses a very natural technique to apply them. I totally trust her. you’ll have to let me know what you think!

10. Megan Houman
    January 16, 2017 at 6:55 pm (4 months ago)

I went on the website and put in your promo code and for some reason it wouldn’t apply to my order for the hair dryer…

January 17, 2017 at 3:49 am (4 months ago)

i think the promo code was only valid for a certain time! sorry about that!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on all about the hair: FAQ’s answered

1. […] I tried these two, and now I’m set. I’ve posted about these two products before in this post and this post so I won’t go into too much more detail here! But they are truly amazing and […]

2. […] + blow dryer ever are 25% off today and tomorrow only with code T3FRIDAY16. see my posts about them here and […]

3. […] + blow dryer ever are 25% off today and tomorrow only with code T3CYBER16. see my posts about them here and […]