the search for security and satisfaction

lauren sims olive green cardigan lauren sims olive green cardigan

This week Michael and I have taken on the project of cleaning out our closets / doing a major de-clutter on our house. We’ve lived here less than two years and have no kids, and it is insane to me how much stuff we accumulate, that we hardly use and definitely do not need. 3 days into the decluttering process and we’ve already taken two car loads worth of stuff to Good Will!

Part of the reason we have so much stuff (obviously) is because of the nature of my job. As a content creator / blogger / influencer / whatever you want to call this profession…I have the privilege of getting to try out so many beauty products and hair tools and clothing from brands. It really is so much fun, and I love opening packages every day. But to be honest with you, having that much stuff can really start to just consume/overwhelm you and make you lose sight of priorities.

With Christmas just around the corner, this is obviously a time for buying things or making a list of things you want. So between the upcoming holiday and this decluttering process, I’ve realized how much we all (I, especially) have such a tendency for more. Another set of pajama pants, another pair of OTK boots, another super cozy cardigan. More food, more money, more cars…more and more and more. All in a deep search for satisfaction and security, grasping for something to make us feel “enough”.

Don’t get me wrong – obviously I don’t think there’s anything wrong with spending your money on clothes or things you really enjoy. (Did I really need this adorable oversized olive green cardigan? Probably not, but I love it, spent less than $50 on it and feel great about it). So, while I don’t think there’s anything wrong with buying clothes or things you enjoy, I’ve come to realize how these things, this stuff, will never fully satisfy us. If these “things” are what we are looking to to make us feel satisfied or secure…we will be left always wanting more.

lauren sims olive green cardigan lauren sims olive green cardigan lauren sims olive green cardiganOutfit details: Olive green cardigan | Similar striped tee here and here | Distressed skinny jeans | Slouch boots | Fringe bag | Tortoise sunglasses | Tassel earrings

It is something every human being does. It separates us from the rest of creation. It causes us much anxiety and much joy…We all are looking for something in which to place our hope. We’re all in search for security.

[From New Morning Mercies by Paul Tripp]

I absolutely love shopping and buying clothes and putting outfits together, but I’ve come to realize how fleeting this is. Yes it’s fun, and in a way how I make a living…but when I attempt to find my satisfaction or my security in the clothes that I have or the way that I look…I will always be left empty.

So where is hope to be found? Hope that will never disappoint or shame you really is found in three of the most glorious words ever penned in human language…’God is love’.

So this Christmas season, as you’re thinking about things that you want or buying new outfits for holiday parties…do so with joy and a thankful heart! But I pray that you remember and that the Lord makes you aware that He alone is the only place we will find security and satisfaction. I heard this quote from Matt Chandler’s sermon a few weeks ago and found it to be so true: “The comfort that our souls are hungry for can only be given by the Creator of our soul.”

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend filled with joy and rest! Remember that you are enough because Christ says that you are!

16 Comments on the search for security and satisfaction

1. Ellie
    December 2, 2016 at 3:46 pm (7 months ago)

Well said! I love shopping as much as the next girl, but I applaud this sentiment. We all need to declutter and reevaluate from time to time and the Season of Goodwill is the perfect time to remind ourselves what is really important! Love your style & your attitude!
    🙂
    (from a London fan!) x

December 5, 2016 at 8:57 pm (7 months ago)

oh my goodness…all the way from London! thank you so much for reading and for your encouraging words! xo

2. Christina
    December 2, 2016 at 4:55 pm (7 months ago)

What a wonderful post!! It’s a great reminder to all of us. 🙂

December 5, 2016 at 8:56 pm (7 months ago)

aw I’m glad you enjoyed it! thank you for reading!

3. Kirsten
    December 2, 2016 at 6:57 pm (7 months ago)

I absolutely love this post! You are 100% right…thank you for reminding us all what is most important this Christmas season!

December 5, 2016 at 8:55 pm (7 months ago)

aw, you are so welcome! I definitely needed the reminder as well (like…everyday!) thank you for reading!

4. Chloe
    December 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm (7 months ago)

I love this so much! As someone who works in church but is also pursuing fashion/lifestyle blogging, I find that I constantly have to reassess my priorities and can totally relate to this! Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your heart- it’s definitely something that people need to hear! <3

December 5, 2016 at 8:53 pm (7 months ago)

You are so welcome! And I feel ya…as someone who grew up in church and has walked with the Lord my whole life, I feel SO conflicted in the blogging/fashion world so often! It’s so important that we continue to put Christ first no matter what. Thank you for reading and for your encouragement!

5. Jessica
    December 3, 2016 at 12:06 am (7 months ago)

Lauren, thanks for posting this today! I’m in month 4 of my lifestyle blog and THIS MORNING in the car on the way to work I prayed and confessed to God that I felt like I’d lost sight of what was important. I’ve been so caught up in all things blogging that I realized I was losing sight of Him and all the things he’s blessed me with. Thanks girl for writing about your faith. Love following this blog of yours 🙂

December 5, 2016 at 8:52 pm (7 months ago)

Oh I’m right there with ya girl! I feel like I daily ask the Lord to realign my priorities, and to remind me that He is so much greater than any amount of clothing or success! Thanks for following and for your encouraging words! Keep seeking Him first 🙂

6. Brittany Payne
    December 5, 2016 at 12:55 am (7 months ago)

I couldn’t agree more! It can be hard for me to find balance in this area of my life at times. I always think of that verse in Ecclesiastes that says, “A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?” (Ecc. 2:24-25). So, I think it is great that you enjoy what you do for a living and you seek to please the Lord in doing it! You’re awesome!

December 5, 2016 at 8:45 pm (7 months ago)

i love this verse!! thank you so much for sharing and for your encouragement!

7. Rebecca King
    December 7, 2016 at 5:27 am (7 months ago)

Love this post very well put! Love all your posts and the light that shines through you.. keep up the good work 🙂

December 7, 2016 at 3:00 pm (7 months ago)

aw thank you so much! that means alot!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on the search for security and satisfaction

1. […] This post was found on Lauren Sim’s blog, and although it’s not about an outfit or how to dress in any particular way, we think the photos speak for them selves. Have a look at “The Search For Security And Satisfaction“.  […]