favorite devotionals / christian books from 2016

For those of you who follow me on snapchat (laurenkay2), you know I love to share with y’all what I’m reading – particularly my devotionals or a book that’s been encouraging me in my faith. So, today I want to share with y’all some of my favorite devotionals or Christian books I read last year.

lauren sims devotionals and christian books

1. New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp – This is a daily devotional (there’s a devotional for each day of the year) and I’ve probably gone through it at least two times now. But I still read it almost every day, because truth is truth regardless of how many times you’ve read it, and we all need to be reminded! I love this devotional because it doesn’t take insanely long, yet it’s packed with Scripture and wisdom and encouragement. Probably one of my favorite devotionals of all time.
  2. Wild & Free by Jess Connolly and Haley Morgan – “a hope filled anthem for the woman who feels she is both too much and never enough”. This book was so encouraging to me because it talks about a woman who truly knows how loved she is by the Lord isn’t afraid to live “wild” and for her life to look different, because you’re not living from a place of trying to please everyone. You’re free to live ‘wild’ because you know you are loved and your identity is secure in Christ. It’s also a really easy read! So if you’re maybe new to reading Christian books, don’t stress…this is a super easy read and really encouraging.
  3. Fervent by Priscilla Shire – “a woman’s battle plan to serious, specific, and strategic prayer”. I haven’t finished this book yet, but it’s one that you can repeat chapters over and over. The entire book teaches you how to specifically and strategically pray for different areas in your life – for your husband, for your kids, for your identity, for your security…it is so powerful and really teaches you to pray in a very powerful and specific way. This is so important because there really is SO much power in prayer, especially when you are praying Scripture!
  4. Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist – Maybe one of my favorite books of all times (and definitely one of my favorite authors). This book spoke to me so well because this is something I really struggle with. I say yes to way too many things and end up being frantic and stressed constantly. This book teaches you to slow down, to enjoy the moment, and to “leave behind the frantic, for a simpler, more soulful way of living.”
  5. Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst – I just started this book a few days ago but I’m already LOVING it. It’s about “living loved when you feel less than, left out, and lonely.” This book just speaks right to my heart because I can SO struggle with looking for my identity or security in how many likes I get on instagram, or what people think about my outfit, etc. This book teaches you how to root your identity in the truth that you are loved, and not letting anything shake you from that.

What are some of your favorite Christian books or devotionals? If you have any faves, please comment below! Happy weekend!

17 Comments on favorite devotionals / christian books from 2016

1. Bianca
    January 6, 2017 at 4:50 pm (6 months ago)

I am currently reading Fresh Out of Amazing by Stacy Thacker, she also has a book club for it, so far so good!

January 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm (6 months ago)

Oh I’m definitely going to look that up! Thanks for sharing!

2. Darby Ratcliff
    January 6, 2017 at 4:56 pm (6 months ago)

I get the Proverbs31 daily devotional to my email every morning. I feel very “off” throughout my day if I don’t read it in the morning.

January 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm (6 months ago)

Ah I LOVE this idea! Definitely want to sign up for that! Thanks for sharing!

3. Ashley
    January 6, 2017 at 6:11 pm (6 months ago)

Such a great post! Thanks for sharing! One of my spiritual goals I posted about yesterday was to Pray Specifics. I am def. going to have to go get Fervent because that sounds amazing and I love Priscilla. Thanks Lauren!

xo, ashley

January 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm (6 months ago)

that’s such a good goal! and seriously…Priscilla Shirer is SO amazing!

4. Michele
    January 6, 2017 at 8:14 pm (6 months ago)

Thank you for sharing this Lauren! I appreciate you sharing your heart for Jesus. My girlfriend and I are starting to meet weekly for spiritual encouragement and accountability but feel like we need some direction with a target book and discussion. Would you have any recommendations from this list or perhaps any of your other favorites? Thank you!

January 9, 2017 at 4:59 pm (6 months ago)

I think any of these would be great for discussion! It depends on if y’all are wanting more of a Bible study to go through, or a book. If you’re wanting to do a Bible study together, I’d recommend a Beth Moore study. If you’re wanting a book, I think Uninvited is a great one to go through, or So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore!

• Michele
        January 9, 2017 at 6:23 pm (6 months ago)

Thank you! Gives us a great place to start!

5. Rebecca King
    January 7, 2017 at 3:34 am (6 months ago)

Thanks for this great list! I love finding new devotional sand good reads! ?

6. Lauren B.
    January 8, 2017 at 12:30 am (6 months ago)

Girl, as you know from snap chat the other day, I am obsessed with Uninvited! So glad you are loving it!
    xx, Lauren {www.rosesandrainboots.com}

January 9, 2017 at 4:54 pm (6 months ago)

YES! I feel like every chapter is rocking my world!

7. Ellie
    January 8, 2017 at 1:09 am (6 months ago)

Hi Lauren! I recently started following you on instagram because your style caught my eye, but now love your posts/blog even more with positive, spiritual content like this.

I’ll be reading some of these- thank you!

January 9, 2017 at 4:54 pm (6 months ago)

aw, that is so encouraging to hear! definitely let me know if you read any of these and what you think. really, some of my all time favorite books!

January 9, 2017 at 4:49 pm (6 months ago)

you are so welcome! thank you for reading!

8. Carli
    January 12, 2017 at 7:12 pm (6 months ago)

I just got Uninvited too, I can’t wait to read it!