my running playlist + training for speed

lauren sims running playlist lauren sims running playlist lauren sims running playlist

Happy 2017! I am so excited about today’s post because it’s probably one of the things y’all have requested the most from me, and it’s just taken forever to get around to it. Today I’m finally sharing my running playlist with y’all!

I figured the best way to do it would be to just create a playlist on Spotify, because that’s what I use and I figured most of y’all do too. So, my Spotify username is laurenkaysims, and the playlist is just called “run“. To search for someone on Spotify, just tap on the magnifying glass in the app that says “search”, and type in my username.

lauren sims running playlist lauren sims running playlist

Let me warn you now though – my running playlist is SUPER random. Everything from Christian worship music to rap to hip hop to music from Moana lol. But that’s what I love. When I’m running long distance, I don’t want something insanely upbeat the entire time. It’s nice to have a variety!

lauren sims running playlist

Outfit details: Koral tank (similar here) | Koral leggings (similar here) | Nike free RN running shoe (also available here) | Bluetooth headphones | Apple watch

Another question some of you have asked me is about half marathon training. I just did my 4th half marathon in December and actually PR’d it, meaning it was my best race ever! I’ve done a post before (here) on half marathon training tips, but I trained a little bit differently for this past one because I was going for speed. In previous races my goal was pretty much to just finish without dying (hah but really), and this race I had a time I wanted to beat.

I am definitely no expert, but wanted to share a few tips with y’all if you’re trying to increase your pace for a race.

I took a class at my gym (Equinox) called ‘Precision Running’ and it was a game changer for me. It was a 45 minute class of interval running and helps you with speed, form, etc. If you want to work on speed I definitely encourage you to look up “interval running”.

First of all there are tons of benefits to interval training, such as improved running form and economy, endurance, mind-body coordination, motivation, and fat-burning. But it also helps with speed because you will run at a much harder effort for a short period of time, and then give your body a few minutes to recover. Here’s an example of an interval run you could do, but really there are tons!

lauren sims running playlist

Let me know if y’all have any questions on how to find my running playlist or interval¬†running! Also, let me know if there are certain fitness things you’d like for me to incorporate more into the blog this year!

12 Comments on my running playlist + training for speed

1. Janie
    January 2, 2017 at 2:55 pm (4 months ago)

What is your training schedule for a 1/2 marathon. I live your blog!!

January 2, 2017 at 5:48 pm (4 months ago)

thank you! in the blog post that I linked in this post (the one about half marathon training), I talk about the training schedule.

January 2, 2017 at 5:47 pm (4 months ago)

that’s so exciting! best of luck with your training!

2. Ericha
    January 2, 2017 at 3:43 pm (4 months ago)

What app do you use when running?

January 2, 2017 at 5:47 pm (4 months ago)

i just track it on my apple watch!

3. Ashley
    January 4, 2017 at 3:20 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Lauren! What training plan in general did you follow (if any) for your halfs? I’m looking to run my third this year and I forgot how many there are. It can be overwhelming!

January 4, 2017 at 8:54 pm (4 months ago)

hi ashley! in my original half marathon training blog post (I linked it in this post) I talk about what training plan I used!

4. Sarah
    January 6, 2017 at 5:31 am (4 months ago)

How do you incorporate your Apple Watch into your running and fitness? I have one too but haven’t figured out how to make it work for me.

January 9, 2017 at 5:02 pm (3 months ago)

The apple watch can track all of your workouts / activity! So I use it to track my runs or spin class, or really any workout I do. It calculates your heart rate, tells you how far you ran, how many calories burned, etc.

5. Karla C
    January 7, 2017 at 10:01 pm (4 months ago)

hi Lauren!

first, off… I love your blog! =)

I’ve been working out consistently now for about two years and active wear has for sure become my guilty pleasure purchase of choice lol can you do a post on all of your favorite active gear brands? I’m only really familiar with the big , popular names (like lululemon or nike).. but I’d love to know where you buy your work out clothes at!

Happy new year!

January 9, 2017 at 4:57 pm (3 months ago)

hey karla! totally with you on work out clothes being a guilty pleasure haha it’s like i have no self control! honestly my go-to’s are probably nike and lululemon…but I also love Alala, Varley, and Koral!