Photos by: Angie Garcia Photo
Happy Friday y’all! I’d gotten a few request from you guys via snapchat/instagram to share my workout routine. I did a post a while back (here) sharing my workout routine, but it’s changed alot over the last few months so I thought I’d update y’all!
Previously, my workout routine was 99% cardio with a yoga class or random weight day thrown in there. Recently I’ve really been trying to branch out from solely cardio (running and cycling), and adding consistent weight training to my routine. I’ve also added other forms of cardio such as the stair master to my cardio routine. There’s definitely still a heavy amount of cardio in my routine, as I’m planning on doing the Rock ‘n Roll half marathon in Dallas in March! But overall, I’ve tried to break up the “only cardio” cycle I was in.
Every week looks slightly different, but for the most part here’s my current workout routine (and please note! i’m not a personal trainer by any means, and this is definitely a work in progress! I just wanted to share my workout routine with any of y’all who maybe need some ideas or inspiration!):
- Monday – double spin class at Flywheel (I do the 8:30am class and 9:30am – I will SO miss flywheel when we move!! Please move to Boulder flyfam!) Flywheel also incorporates a little bit of an arm circuit into each class, which I love.
- Tuesday – start my workout with 30mins of cardio (usually the stairmaster – I’m currently loving the fat burner program at level 12 or 13), and then do an arm and back workout. I try and pick maybe 5-6 different moves that target biceps, triceps, lats, and back…and do 3 sets. Don’t be afraid of the machines at the gym! I had to go figure them out and it was a lot less scary than I thought. I also love looking up workouts from these three women: Brittany Dawn, Kayla Itsines, Alexia Clark. I do a lot of the routines they have either online or on their instagram accounts. I usually end this workout with a quick ab workout. (Again, I find them either on Pinterest, Youtube, or I look up workouts from the women I mentioned above).
- Wednesday – 5-6 mile run + ab workout
- Thursday – usually similar to Tuesday. I start my workout with a 30-40min cardio session – either the stairmaster or maybe an interval run (I posted about that here), and then do either arms and abs, or arms and back. (I haven’t really started incorporating lower body into my weight training, because I run and do flywheel and the stairmaster. I know it’s not the same, but I figure my legs are still getting alot of work!)
- Friday – usually flywheel, sometimes followed by an ab workout at home
- Saturday – if I’m in training mode, Saturdays are usually my long run days. So I’ll run anywhere from 6-12 miles depending on where I’m at in my training plan
- Sunday – rest day or easy yoga class
Ideally I’d like to add more yoga and stretching into my routine, but I’ve loved starting to do more with weights! I feel so much stronger and healthy overall. And It’s so fun to see my body make progress – I started out doing 20lb barbell curls a few weeks ago, and now I’m up to 30! The progress is fun to watch and I’ve enjoyed seeing how my body responds to weight training. It also helps with preventing injury during marathon training.
Outfit details: Mesh cross back bra (also available here – I’m wearing the XS) | Black running jacket (wearing the XS) | Similar high waisted leggings here and here | Nike zoom training shoe | Black aviator sunglasses | Lipstick (color is ‘velvet teddy’) | Ear crawlers | Apple watch
Also – I am OBSESSED with everything in this workout outfit. Some workout outfits I’ve posted on here because they’re cute and really comfortable, but I don’t necessarily workout in them. But I workout in every single one of these pieces here and the performance is GREAT. These exact leggings are sold out but I linked two other high waisted leggings from the same brand that I love. They are great for yoga or for spin or cold weather runs.
Let me know if y’all have any more questions about my workout routine! Or if there are any specific fitness posts you’d like to see!