London travel guide + Kensington Hotel review
A little over a week ago, my mom and I took a trip to London and Barcelona together and had so much fun! So today I wanted to share a little London travel guide: some of my favorite things we did there, along with other suggestions I got from you guys that we didn’t have time to do! AND share all about the cutest hotel we stayed in in Kensington! (The Barcelona travel guide will come next week!)
Things to do
Okay there are SO MANY things to do in London! We were only there 3 nights and I definitely wish we had another! Here are some of the top things to do
- All the tourist things: Tower of London, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace. (There are several others ie Kensington Palace, St. Paul’s, etc, but I think these are the main ones!). We did a tour of Westminister Abbey and it was so beautiful. We couldn’t go in Buckingham Palace because the queen was there!, but definitely went and saw the outside of it. We also didn’t have time to do Tower of London so I definitely want to go back and do that. London is so rich in history that you could spend an entire trip here just doing tours of all the palaces, churches, and government buildings!
- Parks and things: I ran through Hyde Park and it is GORGEOUS! Also on that run, I ran through Kensington Gardens (pictured above) which was equally as stunning. You can also see Kensington Palace (where Will and Kate live!) if you go to Hyde Park!
- Shopping: holy cow there is so much good shopping in London! Regent street and Oxford street (they intersect) are both amazing streets for shopping. Definitely check out Harrod’s while you’re in London! And I also loved Harvey Nichols! There’s also really good shopping in Covent Gardens!
- My mom and I also saw a show while we were in London (we saw Aladdin!) and it was so fun! I know you can see Broadway plays anywhere, but I thought it was really fun to see London’s theatre district and see a play there.
Places to see
There are so many little cute different neighborhoods in and around London. We went to Notting Hill one day and that was one of my favorite parts about our trip! These darling colorful houses, walking down Portobello Road…it was so charming! Also the picture above was at the most amazing biscuit shop in Notting Hill called Biscuiteers! They make these beautiful cookies with intricate icing detail!
I also loved Covent Garden! There are so many cute (and high-end) shops and quaint restaurants and street performers to watch!
TONS of y’all recommended we go to Borough Market which sadly we didn’t get a chance to! But again, I definitely want to go back and do that!
Places to eat
To be honest, we didn’t have a ton of restaurants we just LOVED in London. But, both my mom and I are pretty particular about our food haha ie not the easiest to please. We did have a few places we loved though that I wanted to share with y’all!:
- The picture above is from Eggbreak in Notting Hill! This was probably my favorite brunch we had in London. The restaurant is just darling and their food was delicious!
- Several of you recommend Dishoom to me and I was a little hesitant because I don’t think I’d ever tried Indian food before! But we decided to be brave and tried it and it was INcredible! There are several locations around London and you should absolutely try it out! The food was all really fresh, and I love that they had healthy options on the menu as well.
- There was a small cafe by our hotel in Kensington called Over Under which I really liked! I got avocado toast there two mornings with a fried egg on top and it was amazing!
- Other places that were recommended but we didn’t get a chance to try: Sketch (this is the place with the pink chairs + super instagram worthy!), Neal’s Yard, Scott’s in Mayfair, Granger and Co (pancakes and eggs!), and the Ivy in Chelsea.
My mom and I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Kensington and it was absolutely perfect! First of all – we loved the location. Kensington is such a charming neighborhood, close to Hyde Park, and there was a tube station just across the street! We also liked how quiet the neighborhood was!
There’s a restaurant at the bottom of the hotel where we had breakfast one day and really enjoyed. They also serve lunch and dinner, and everyone’s food I saw looked so yummy haha. The restaurant itself is also just adorable!
Our room at Hotel Indigo was surprisingly spacious (most hotels in Europe are SO tiny)! We couldn’t believe how much room we had in the bathroom, and the shower was huge! Another thing we loved about the room was the mini fridge and snacks that they would restock everyday! There were bottles of water, little bottles of wine, hot chocolate, and other things they’d replenish daily!Pajama set (similar here)
The service at Hotel Indigo was also outstanding. Everyone at the front desk was super helpful in giving us instructions or restaurant recommendations. And anytime we’d call down from our room, they would bring us whatever we asked for right away.
Anyway! I am far from an expert on London, but just wanted to share a few things we did and loved in case any of you are heading there soon! I definitely want to go back one day to do the things on our list we didn’t get to check off! Overall though I absolutely loved London – I thought it was so charming, there’s so much history, and of course…all the British accents!
Thanks for reading! And thanks to everyone who shared their recommendations with me!