Hey guys! A few weeks ago I did a blog post sharing my first trimester experience and got such a great response from you guys on that post. I’ve been a little hesitant to share TOO much pregnancy stuff on here because I wasn’t sure how interested y’all were in that. But, so far I’ve loved the interest you guys have shown! So, I thought it might be fun to do a “bumpdate” type of blog post every 3 or 4 weeks! I’ll just be sharing an update on the pregnancy – products I’m loving, things I’m learning, cravings, tips I’ve picked up, etc! So, as of today I am 17 weeks and a few days pregnant (these pics were shot when I was 16 weeks).
Honestly I’ve still been feeling great and feel so fortunate in that! I know pregnancy can take a major toll on your body (and life) for so many women, and I feel super lucky that thus far (knock on wood), I’ve felt really good overall. The symptoms I have had have been pretty manageable for the most part. I’ve definitely had some heartburn and indigestion (taken Tums for that). I still feel more tired than I used to. Today for example I shot for the blog with my photographer here in Denver. We shot for a little over an hour, but it was 90 degrees outside (and I change outfits in the car), and at the end of that shoot I was dead. Like came home, sat on the couch and couldn’t move for a while haha. I’m typically a really high energy person so this has been a change for me! I just get tired way easier now.
I’ve also had pretty frequent headaches, but again, nothing too severe! And my appetite has been pretty aggressive haha. Like, after having a huge meal at Chuy’s (we are talking loads of Tex Mex), I find myself hungry again in like 2 hours! I haven’t really had nausea which I’m super thankful for. But, I’ve noticed my stomach just always kind of feels unhappy haha. I’m either having indigestion problems, constipation issues (TMI? sorry), gas, or weird cramps. My stomach is kind of always uncomfortable – or, at least 75% of the time.
My workouts have still pretty much been the same. Although, I’ve noticed I have to pee pretty often now when I run which makes things slightly more difficult. I workout about 5-6 days a week. I do a combination of running (5-6 miles), stairmaster, flywheel classes on my flyanywhere bike, weight training (light weights, high reps), and I recently started doing classes at The Dailey Method which I am LOVING. They have tons of class options which are all pregnancy-friendly (and actually great for pregnancy). I’ve been doing their cycle/barre class which is a 40 minute spin class, followed by 20 minutes of barre/core strengthening on the floor. But like I said they have a million class options, and locations all over the country. So you should definitely find a studio and try out a class. (use the code LAUREN to get 75% off your first class)!
Some products / books I’ve been loving:
- I got this devotional, Praying Through Your Pregnancy after a friend recommended it and I’ve been loving it! I only read it once a week (every time I get to the next week ie: 16 weeks, 17 weeks, etc), and there is a different topic and prayer every week. It’s amazing to already be praying for my baby’s future spouse, for my baby’s own walk with the Lord, for my baby’s health…and so many other specific topics. I’ve also heard that Waiting in Wonder is a great pregnancy devotional!
- I recently started the book Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth and been loving this as well. Since this is our first baby, I honestly know absolutely nothing about childbirth and labor and all of those things. We’re going to take a birthing class at some point, but I figured I should probably start learning now. I’m also considering natural childbirth and Ina May shares the benefits and joys of natural childbirth by showing women how to trust in the wisdom of their bodies for a healthy and fulfilling birthing experience. Yes, some parts of the book can be pretty graphic haha but so far I’m loving it and would recommend it to anyone who is also considering natural childbirth.
- For stretch mark prevention, I have been using bio oil in the mornings and the honest company belly balm at night (or visa versa, I don’t think it really matters). I love how both of these feel (and smell) on my body! I obviously can’t really say if they work yet haha bc I haven’t really ‘stretched’ all that much. But they both have amazing reviews and I like them so far!
- Daily Harvest smoothies – if you follow me on IG stories you’ve probably seen me post about these smoothies a hundred times already. These are ready-to-blend superfood smoothies delivered right to your door in a ready to go cup. This is such an amazing way to get tons of fruits, veggies, healthy fats, vitamins and nutrients in your day, all at one time. And it takes 30 seconds to make. I will have these with breakfast and add a scoop of protein powder…or as an afternoon snack! Use the code LAURENKAYSIMS to get 3 free cups in your first order!
- My favorite pregnancy app so far is Ovia. I also like The Bump and “Baby Story” is the app I use to take photos every week to compare the baby to the size a fruit.
I haven’t had any super weird cravings so far…I just want desserts now even more than I used to (which is saying something)! I’ve also been loving lemonade or anything kinda tart like that. And, I honestly just feel more freedom around food overall than I used to. For example, Michael and I went to the Farmer’s Market last weekend and I really wanted a big giant breakfast burrito. Before I was pregnant, I probably would’ve wanted that same thing but thought “no I should be healthy and get a salad” or something. But now, I feel like I’m pretty much eating whatever sounds good to me! Obviously I’m still eating healthy and getting the proper nutrients for me and the baby…but I’m also okay with choosing a burrito over a salad if that’s what sounds good to me.
Confession: I miss wine. I knew I would but I thought I’d just kind of adjust. It’s definitely gotten easier as time goes on, but I could 100% go for a glass of rose on the patio about right now. I have been loving though the Waterloo Watermelon sparking water. I’m not typically a huge fan of sparking water but this is an exception and it’s been a LIFE saver! You can get it at Whole Foods…or I’m sure other grocery stores carry it too.
Something I’ve been surprised by: how long it takes to start “showing”! I’m 17 weeks now and when most people see me, they still can’t tell I’m pregnant (unless I just ate like a giant meal maybe haha). I’m sure at some point I will get humongous and laugh at the fact that I ever said this. But, I had no idea it could take so long for the little baby to show up! At this point, I feel like I’m in that stage where I don’t look pregnant…I just look like I gained some weight ha. So, to be honest, that’s been a little hard on me mentally / from a self-esteem standpoint! Obviously I know it’s 100% worth it. It’s just something I didn’t think about before getting pregnant. I thought you get pregnant, you get this big cute bump, you have a baby. I didn’t realize there was such a long in between period where you just look kinda fluffy and blah haha. (Again, I’m not complaining at all! Just being honest with y’all!)
Something else I’ve been surprised by: how obsessed I am with this baby and I haven’t even met him or her yet. To be honest, I never really got “baby fever” before we were pregnant. I was loving life just me and Michael doing our thing, no responsibilities, traveling whenever, etc. I was open to the idea of a baby but not necessarily dying for one right now. But, as soon as we found out we were pregnant that ALL changed, like almost over night! I seriously think about this baby 24/7, pray for the baby all the time, and absolutely cannot wait to meet him or her.
Those are my major updates for today! I could honestly go on for pages talking about pregnancy and things I’m learning and loving. But, I’ll try and keep these relatively concise! Let me know if you have any questions or pregnancy tips in the comments below!