Hey y’all! A question I get asked from you guys pretty often is what books or devotionals I recommend. I’ve done a few posts with favorite books / devotionals (just scroll through some of the posts in my ‘faith + inspired‘ category and you’ll find them), but I’ve done a few more studies recently that I wanted to share.
Before I share the studies though, I want to talk a little bit about the concept of a ‘quiet time’. Growing up in church, I think this term can become very legalistic. When we hear the words ‘quiet time’, it’s very easy to think of it as a check list part of our day, in order to ‘be a good Christian’. I think a quiet time can look different for everyone! For me, personally, it is so much more than a checklist thing in order for me to be in good standing with God (because He doesn’t work like that anyway haha).
A ‘quiet time’ (really, just time alone spent with God) for me is 100% essential in everything and for everything that I do. This is a time when I pour my heart out to God – either with things I’m anxious about or struggling with, and / or I just thank Him for how good He is. It’s time when I saturate my mind with truth from His Word. This world will throw lies at us all day long from every direction – people at work, social media, ads in magazines, etc. The only way I can walk securely into a world full of lies or temptations is by saturating my mind with truth from God’s Word – being reminded of my true identity in Christ, and what my purpose is on this earth: to bring Him glory in all that I do.
This time alone with God also grounds me because it reminds me that there is so much more to life than Instagram engagement and travel collaborations and black Friday sales. While all of those things can be great, God is so much greater and my time alone with Him in the mornings reminds me of that.
ANYWAY…finally onto the Bible study recommendation!
Bible studies I’ve done and LOVED recently:
- Breathe by Priscilla Shirer – This is a Bible study all about what true Sabbath rest looks like. Not just the Sunday kind of Sabbath…but a life marked by a Godly rest and peace. I have a major tendency to overwork myself, burn myself out, and not create space for true sabbath rest. So this study was really eye opening for me and allowed me to see certain scriptures in a way I’d never seen before! I also downloaded the videos from the Lifeway website and watched those once a week. (They’re not too long, and they are so good!)
- Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer – I’m only on week two of this study but I am LOVING it already! It’s all about spiritual warfare – making us more aware of satan’s attacks on our lives and how to battle that with truth from Scripture and the Holy Spirit in our lives. It’s reminded me of the power of prayer and made me incorporate prayer into my daily life. Not just in the mornings, but throughout my entire day. I’m not doing the videos with this study. I’m sure they are great but you definitely don’t have to do them! I’m doing this study with a girl from our church and love having the accountability of doing this with someone else! (Side note – I’ve also done Fervent by Priscilla Shirer and highly recommend that! It is ALL about the power of prayer and teaching you how to pray strategically. I might go through it for a second time because so good).
- Finding I am by Lysa TerKeurst – I know I’ve shared this in a previous blog post but just had to share it again because it truly is one of my favorite studies I’ve ever done. First of all, I basically love anything by Lysa TerKeurst. Second, this study is all about finding Christ to be everything you need. It’s about Christ being your bread of life, the light of the world, and so much more! I LOVE how Scripture-based this study is and how much it gets you in the Word. I did the videos with this study and they were amazing – you definitely don’t have to though!
Other favorite devotionals / Bible studies
- New Morning Mercies by Paul Tripp – an amazing daily devotional that will challenge you in your faith, teach you more about the Lord, and get you in the Word
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young – a daily devotional all about hearing Jesus speak to you personally, with a daily scripture to go with it. Highly recommend for everyone (and it’s especially great for new believers or if you’re just now starting to walk with the Lord!)
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers – the language in this is kind of old school but the truth and wisdom in this is DEEP and so challenging!
- Uninvited by Lisa TerKeurst– not necessarily a devotional but an amazing book about finding our security in Jesus
Hope this gives you a good place to start if you’ve been needing a new devotional! Let me know in the comments below if you have any Bible study, devotional, or book recommendations! I’m always looking to add to my list!