white chocolate oreo balls recipe
I went to a Christmas party last Friday night, and if you follow me on snapchat (laurenkay2), you saw that I made this oreo balls recipe for the party! (Or if you prefer the fancy term – oreo truffles). Several of you replied to my snapchat or commented on instagram that you’d like the oreo balls recipe, so I’m sharing it with you today!
This oreo balls recipe is so simple, yet it’s always a crowd pleaser (slash I shouldn’t keep any in my house because I know no self control when it comes to these bad boys). Start to finish, these probably took me 30 minutes, and you don’t have to bake them!
White Chocolate Oreo Balls Recipe (with peppermint)
- 36 Oreos (double stuffed or regular work!)
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened (I used low fat! Save yourself a few calories without sacrificing the taste)
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 16 oz. white chocolate bark (or any kind of baking chocolate made for melting. I actually used 12 oz white chocolate, and then 4 oz of regular chocolate so I could have some white chocolate oreo balls, and some chocolate!)
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint
- Set a long sheet of wax paper over a cookie sheet and set aside
- Place 36 oreos in a food processor and pulse until finely crushed. (If you don’t have a food processor, you could also place oreos in a ziploc bag, seal, and crush with a rolling pin until finely crushed. Or, I put mine 5 at a time in my magic bullet)
- Pour crushed oreos into a mixing bowl
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend together cream cheese and peppermint extract
- Add the cream cheese mixture to crushed oreos and using the back of a spoon, stir mixture while pressing it along the bottom of the bowl, until well combined and evenly moistened
- Scoop the mixture out and form into 1 inch balls (mine were more like 2, hehe), then align on prepared cookie sheet.
- Place truffles in freezer for 10 minutes
- Melt almond bark (chocolate) according to directions on package.
- Remove truffles from freeziper and dip in melted chocolate and evenly coat, then allow excess chocolate to run off, and return to baking sheet. (Tip: I would drop the ball into the chocolate and use a fork to roll it around, and then scoop the ball back up with the fork, to let the excess chocolate drip off)
- Return to baking sheet and immediately sprinkle tops with crushed candy canes (you can buy crushed peppermint from the store, but I just bought peppermints and crushed them in a ziploc bag while the Oreo balls were freezing)
- Let the chocolate set, and you’re done! (I put mine in the fridge for maybe 10-15 minutes and they were good to go! make sure to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator…if you happen to have any leftovers!