Happy wellness Wednesday! First of all – I would like to apologize for the poor lighting in these photos haha. We shot these in our home gym which is in our basement which essentially has zero natural light. BUT, I’ve been getting way more into HIIT workouts recently and wanted to share one with y’all today, to give you something new to try in the gym! I’ve been loving HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training) because they are extremely effective, efficient, and challenge my body in new ways.
The premise of a HIIT workout is basically to spike your heart rate for a short interval of time by pushing to your almost max effort, and then bring it back down by recovering, then do it again and again. There are a few benefits to working out this way. You will burn fat much quicker, and also continue to burn calories even AFTER the workout is over! (Note: i am not a personal trainer, but that’s what I’ve read and heard from trainers and coaches, and also seen happen with my own body). And the HIIT workout I’m sharing with you guys today also involves strength training so you’re building muscle as well!
There are thousands of different variations you could do of a HIIT workout. The one I’m sharing with y’all today involves both cardio and strength training and will work your entire body! The great thing about it is you are strength training while your heart rate is already high from the cardio portion, meaning it will be more effective!
Lauren Kay Sims HIIT workout
- Start by warming up on the treadmill. Fast walk or slow jog for 5-10 minutes
- Hop off the treadmill and complete the following 3 moves (if you have questions about what any of these moves are, you can google or youtube it! I also show photos of me doing each move in this post). Set a timer for 8 minutes – get through as MANY sets as possible before the timer goes off! Meaning little to no rest in between sets!
- Side plank on your left side – hold for 30 seconds. Engage your core by pulling your belly button to your spine. After 30 seconds, switch to your right side
- Alternating lunges with dumbbells (I use 12lbs but use whatever feels challenging to you). Start with your feet together, then step your right foot back into a lunge, making a 90 degree angle with both left leg and right leg, bringing your right (back) knee to JUST above the ground. Then bring feet together. Repeat on opposite side (left leg back). Complete 10 reps PER leg (so, 20 total)
- Shoulder press with dumbbells (I use 10lbs but use whatever feels challenging to you!). 12 reps
- After you have completed all 3 moved for a total of 8 minutes, get back on the treadmill and RUN at your 80% max effort for 3 minutes, without stopping. (I typically put the treadmill around 7.3, but do whatever YOUR 80% max effort is). Run at this pace for 3 minutes. When the 3 minutes is up, walk for 1 minute to recover.
- Repeat the entire workout above (minus the warmup) for a total of 3 or 4 sets total (depending on how dead you are at the end of 3!).
This is one of my favorite simple yet super effective HIIT workouts. If you try it, make sure you tag me on instagram or in your stories and let me know what you thought! Thanks for reading!